Mike Fan is an award-winning Chinese-Canadian operatic lyric coloratura baritone soloist. Mike’s voice is known for its warm timbre, tremendous flexibility, and surprising upper extension. Mike performs opera, oratorio, and art song of composers from Cavalli to Rachmaninov in nine languages spanning five centuries, with frequent premieres of contemporary compositions and world premieres. Mike has won the Royal Conservatory of Music’s Gold Medal, William Thompson Scholarship, and First Place prizes at the NATS Competition. Upcoming, Mike débuts the role of the Spanish Don Alvaro in Rossini’s rarely performed “Il viaggio a Reims” with Toronto Vocal Studio.
Mike’s opera roles include Top in Copland’s “The Tender Land”, Moralès and Dancaïro in Bizet’s “Carmen”, Schlémil in Hoffmann’s “Les contes d’Hoffmann”, and Ljubavnik in Hajdinjak’s “Pajaduća Zvijezda”. Mike repertoire also encompasses scenes and arias from operas by Rossini, Donizetti, Heggie, Mozart, Bernstein, and Rorem. Mike’s concert repertoire includes song cycles, Lieder, romances, mélodies, and art song from de Falla to Barber and oratorio arias by Handel and Bach. Mike has been engaged across Australia and Canada by Opera NUOVA, Halifax Summer Opera, Canadian Ambassador Choir, Guelph Symphony Orchestra, Opera Laurier, Eden Mills Arts Festival, and Vera Causa Opera.
Mike has performed and studied in masterclasses with Russell Braun, Sondra Radvanovsky, Victor Martens, Leslie Fagan, Tharanga Goonetilleke, and other renowned mentors and pedagogues. Mike created and hosted Opera@Guelph from 2013-2015, a monthly opera series at the University of Guelph which presented 11 operas in five languages. Mike completes his second Honour’s Bachelor’s degree (HBMus) in Classical Voice Performance in 2019 at Sir Wilfrid Laurier University. Mike currently studies with coaches Marianne Bindig and Dr. Michael Warren. Mike speaks five of the nine languages he has sung and holds degrees in Voice and Piano (The Royal Conservatory of Music) and Biomedical Science (Guelph).
Photo: Tobbi Dyer (Mike Fan as Moralès in Bizet's Carmen, HSOF 2017)
Mike Fan (Top), River Guard (Martin), and Elvin Do (Grandpa Moss) in Copland's "The Tender Land" with Opera Laurier.
Photo: Marie Levesque.
- HBMus, Honours Music: Voice Performance, Italian & German double minor (Sir Wilfrid Laurier University, 2019)
- ARCT, Voice Performance (Royal Conservatory of Music, 2015)
- OSSD, Ontario Scholar (Centennial Collegiate and Vocational Institute, 2010)
- Toronto Vocal Studio
- Opera Laurier
- Halifax Summer Opera
- Opera NUOVA
- Canadian Ambassador Choir
- Guelph Chinese Canadian Culture Association
- Eden Mills Arts Festival
- Society for the Archaeology of Ancient Music
- Vera Causa Opera
- Student Budget Productions
- Guelph Symphony Orchestra
- Ontario Federation of Music Festivals
- Kiwanis Music Festivals of KW & Guelph
- Ontario Federation of Music Festivals: Provincial Finalist - National Qualifying Voice Class (2018)
- William Thomson Scholarship (2018)
- RCM Gold Medal, Grade 10 Voice (2014)
- NATS Competition, 1st place - Mature Beginner (2014)
- College Avenue Public School Music Award (2005)
- Kiwanis Music Festival of Guelph Scholarships: Senior Voice (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2017)