Mike Fan is an experienced and diverse educator teaching and tutoring privately in KW, Guelph, and online via Skype and Facetime. Mike holds ARCT degrees in both Voice and Piano Performance (Royal Conservatory) and an Honours Bachelor’s in Biomedical Science with Distinction (BScH, University of Guelph). He is currently completing a third ARCT degree in Speech Arts and Drama Performance from the Royal Conservatory and a second Honours Bachelors (HBMus) in Classical Voice Performance from Sir Wilfrid Laurier University.
Mike has taught piano, voice, and music theory for organizations such as the Kratovic School of Music, Octave Music Centre, and Yamaha Children's Music Academy, frequently accompanying his own voice students and those of other instruments for exams, competitions, and auditions. Mike is proud to be listed in the RCM's National Teacher Directory and is the 2018-2019 President of SNATS (Students for the National Association of Teachers of Singing), Laurier branch.
Mike’s tutoring expertise covers a wide variety of subject areas, such as mathematics (algebra, data management, statistics, calculus), sciences (biology, chemistry, physics), and languages (ESL, French, Italian, German, Mandarin). In addition to private tutoring, Mike has taught chemistry at the Canadian Independent College in Baden, Ontario, German at Sir Wilfrid Laurier University, and Passport Tutoring for adults via Community Living Guelph-Wellington. Mike continues to enjoy a thriving studio teaching young children as young as five to adults and seniors interested in lifelong learning and development.
Contact Mike to get started today!
Photo: Danillo Laprovidence
ARCT, Speech Arts Performance (Royal Conservatory of Music, 2020)
HBMus, Honours Music: Voice Performance, Italian & German double minor (Sir Wilfrid Laurier University, 2019)
ARCT, Voice Performance (Royal Conservatory of Music, 2015)
BScH, Honours Biomedical Science (University of Guelph, 2014)
OSSD, Ontario Scholar (Centennial Collegiate and Vocational Institute, 2010)
ARCT, Piano Performance (Royal Conservatory of Music, 2009)
• The Studio of Mike Fan (Voice, Piano, Music Theory, Maths, Sciences, ESL, French, German, Italian, Mandarin)
• Sir Wilfrid Laurier University (German: GM 110 & 111)
• The Canadian Independent College (Chemistry: SCH 4U)
• Community Living Guelph Wellington (Passport Tutoring)
• The Kratovic School of Music (Voice, Piano, Music Theory)
• The Octave Music Centre (Voice, Piano, Music Theory)
• Yamaha Children’s Music Academy (Piano, Music Theory)
• JamSchool (Piano, Music Theory)
- Ontario Federation of Music Festivals: Provincial Finalist - National Qualifying Voice Class (2018)
- William Thomson Scholarship (2018)
- Ontario Federation of Music Festivals: 1st Place, Provincial Finalist - Advanced Speech Arts (2018)
- RCM Gold Medal, Grade 10 Voice (2014)
- NATS Competition, 1st place - Mature Beginner (2014)
- College of Biological Science, Roll of Distinction (2013, 2014)
- University of Guelph Dean’s Honours List (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
- University of Guelph Entrance Scholarship (2010)
- Ontario Scholar (2010)
- College Avenue Public School Scholarship (2010)
- Kincardine Summer Music Festival, Chamber Music Scholarship (2008)
- College Avenue School Letter (2007)
- College Avenue Public School Music Award (2005)
- Kiwanis Music Festival of Guelph Scholarships: Senior Voice , Senior Piano, Speech Arts (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2017)